Name:
Location: Los Angeles, Calfornia, United States

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Welcome to Leftside Annie

Welcome to my blog. I'm new at this, and I'm excited to have a place to express my leftie-leaning opinions and help build the case against George W. Bush, our pet president.

I've always thought of myself as a moderate; a middle-of-the-road kind of gal, fiscally rather conservative and socially liberal. I was never particularly political; I voted regularly, but did not spend much time paying attention to the dog and pony show of 'politics as usual' in Washington - until November, 2000, when a gang of neocons stole our country.

Right out from under our naive and unsuspecting noses.

If only we had known then what we know now! We might have been able to stop the hijacking of our country by the extreme right-wing.

Here in 2005, I find centrist, moderate, middle-of-the-road me labeled an "extreme lefty whacko" and other interesting terms ("Saddam-loving slut" was among the most interesting and colorful of those terms) because of my outspoken opposition to the unjustified and immoral war on Iraq. I have been called "unpatriotic," "un-American," a "traitor" and worse. I have even been reported to the Department of Homeland Security for my alleged "threats against the President."

Threats against the President??

I'll readily admit to calling him a crook, a thief, a moron, the Chimperor - and many other insulting (and accurate) terms, but I've never made any threats.

Wishes, yes, but threats? No. But that's not the point.

The point is that the right is heavily invested in silencing the left, and anything goes: scorn, derision, slander, bullying - and even more extreme measures (think Valerie Plame). It's easier to be silent, and probably safer, too. However, there is far too much silence coming from the left these days. Ordinary Americans are reluctant to speak out in the face of the air of menace from the right-wing.

Bigots and bullies are showing up everywhere, in pulpits, in press rooms and even now, in the halls of our government. Their bigotry, particularly against gays and Muslims, has been given the official stamp of approval by our oh-so-moral-Christian president and the new pope Benedict XVI, and is now quite acceptable behavior in polite company. Once, these ugly bigots would have been roundly told to "shut the fuck up" by disgusted individuals - but these individuals are now silent in the face of the right-wing's collective menace, afraid to be labled as unpatriotic or unAmerican - or God forbid, a "left-wing nutjob."

As far as I'm concerned, in this day and time, I'm still going to tell those ugly bigots to shut the fuck up - and if I'm labeled a "left-wing nutjob," I'll wear the label proudly.

Kate

1 Comments:

Blogger jas150 said...

Hiya, Kate!!!

Love it! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

xxxooo
julie

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home